Saturday, July 26, 2008

KSU visit

location: Kent State University

emotion: impressed

Yesterday was spent at the KSU campus for their discovery day. My mom and I went with our friends Alli and her mom Eileen. We took our van down there since it has more room. There was a lot of people there, so many there wasn't enough chairs to sit down for the welcome part of the day. From the welcome we went to look at dorms. They were mock dorms to preview different layouts. Alli said she didn't like the beds with desk underneath. I thought those were cool, I liked sleeping high up when I and Meli had bunk beds. Next we looked at the art building. It was under construction but we found a computer guy to show us around. He showed us the art education class rooms. He tried to show us the drawing room but his card/key didn't work. Since Alli's mom is an artist it was helpfull having her along to ask question I wouldn't of thought of.

From there we went back to the student center, where we started, and looked at a bunch of tables. The tables had a number of majors and some had information about admissions and those sorts of things. After viewing the tables and talking to the professors at the tables we went to eat lunch. Flash the mascot was walking around and my mom made me get a picture with it! The Kent people with Flash wanted a picture and had me write down my e-mail address to send it to me. So I got two pictures with Flash.

Since we had some extra time we went for a quick look at the bookstore. I saw someone from my school there. From the bookstore we split ways with Alli and my mom and I were off to the art tour. The art tour was really exciting! We went to all the buildings that housed art classes but weren't in the main art building. We saw the rooms for Jewelry making, Sculpture, Textiles, and Ceramics. We didn't get to see Glass Blowing, but that would of been awesome to seen.


This picture I took is of a huge planter made out of newspaper. Its biodegradable art that will change during time. It was large, maybe 7 feet high and I don't know how wide but in took some space. We looked at the sign for the Kent State shootings but I forgot about the camera so I don't have any pictures.

The last thing we went to see was the Wellness Center. It had a huge gym floor and a swimming pools. There was lanes from walking and running around the place. By this point we had walked so far we didn't feeling like walking back but we had to since the bus that took us to the Wellness Center was the last one. Overall it was a fun day with a lot to take in. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had fun looking around with you. It was a pretty impressive place. Flash wants you to come to KSU!!!

runnergirl© said...

I wish I could have been there, just so I could have hugged the mascot!

Lisa said...

What an exciting day. It makes me excited thinking of when I'll visit colleges with my kids. The picture with Flash is cute. Don't you just love how we moms embarass kids? It's our job you know!

Studying art sounds wonderful. Do you know what you want to do for a career yet?